Wednesday, July 30, 2014

"Be still and know I am God." Psalm 46:10

July 27, 2014

The more I read the Psalms… the more I appreciate David.

David sought to live with integrity.  He sought to be accountable to God.  For example Psalm 26 starts:

Vindicate me, O Lord,

for I have walked in my integrity,

 and I have trusted in the Lord without

wavering.

Prove me, O Lord, and try me;

test my heart and mind.

For your steadfast love is before my eyes,

And I walk in faithfulness to you.

 

Being open to God allows David to grow and serve well.

 

Reflecting on the Psalms allows us to grow and serve well too.  I hope you are continuing in your reading and reflection.  Over the years, when I work with leaders and we pray, listening for God’s Word, what is often heard is Psalm 46:10, “Be still and know that I am God.”  What an affirmation of God’s protection and power… that as we quiet our lives and put them before the Lord, God will be present!  Sometimes that’s all we need to know to journey forth from fear to faith… from chaos to peace.

 

Another  leader that benefitted from Psalms, is Martin Luther, a guiding light in the Protestant Reformation.   Luther was assailed by critics as he promoted reforms based on scripture, faith, and direct connection with God through Jesus Christ.  In the midst of grief and chaos, Luther wrote many hymns.  Perhaps one of his most famous is based upon Psalm 46 which we examine today.  It is title is “A Mighty Fortress is Our God.”  I commend verse 2 to you for comfort and confidence today:

 

Did we in our own strength confide,

Our striving would be losing;

Were not the right Man on our side,

The Man of God’s own choosing.

Dost ask who that may be?

Christ Jesus it is He.

Lord Sabaoth His name,

And he must win the battle.

 

God may we present ourselves to you, be still and know you are God, and from that experience be serve as you lead, knowing the battle has already been won.

 

Blessings,

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment