Thursday, October 30, 2014

November 2, 2014

November is a big month in the life of Eastminster. Today we remember. We remember those who we have loved and even lived with who have passed on to God before us. It is a deeply felt time for me as my father died this year. So did my beloved administrative assistant, Betsy Vosburgh. Several friends and members of churches I’ve served, including Eastminster, also have died. On another but very personal level, I lost a dog, Sunday, who was with us for 17 years. What I have learned is that God is there in all my losses and grief. So are Christian friends. God’s presence allows me to feel pain more deeply… and pain that is not without hope and even joy. Today we remember. I suppose that there is not a person in the congregation that does not have a special someone that they want to lift up to be remembered by God. There will be a time to do that in worship today. In the pastoral prayer after communion there will be a time in which you may lift up, aloud or silently, the names of those who you love and commend to God’s care. Today we remember. A host of the “saints” of our church who passed away in the last year will be remembered by the calling of their name and the toiling of a bell. This is a tradition here and an honorable one. Today we remember. And I ask you to remember this. As a community of faith, when one suffers we all suffer… and when one rejoices we all rejoice. Do not grieve alone. Share your burden with a pastor and a friend. Lift it up to the Lord. Talk to me or a Stephen Ministry Leader, if you want a Stephen Minister to walk with you through this time. Today we remember. Remember the Word of God has comfort. Hebrews 13, the chapter after our scripture today says this: “We can say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can anyone do to me?" Remember your leaders, those who spoke the word of God to you; consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” Today we remember the “Saints” that lead the way for us. And as we remember, let’s remember to be faithful without ceasing to the Lord, the giver of life and the purchaser of life everlasting through Jesus Christ, His Son and the power of the Holy Spirit. May God’s Spirit fill us all with deep gratitude, even in grief and sorrow, and draw us closely together as… Today we remember. Blessings, Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment